Most fires are caused by lack of thought or concentration, or by carelessness. Cigarettes, matches and lighters, candles, heating appliances and equipment such as electric blankets can all be lethal if not carefully monitored.
A fire cannot exist without heat, oxygen and fuel. If one of these elements is taken away, the fire will die. Fire can be caused by friction, hot surfaces, sparks, open flames, chemical reactions and/or inner heat. You can usually remove the heat from a fire by dousing it with water. You can remove oxygen from a fire by cutting off the air supply to it, using sand, a blanket, foam or special fire-fighting chemicals. Fuel could be gas, electricity, wood or paper.
Fires are most often caused by electrical faults, open flames, hot surfaces, chemical reactions, friction, lightning or static electricity.
The following tips will help keep you and your family safe from fire.